Moldy looking comb?? What is it??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tigercreek, Aug 21, 2011.

1. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Can anyone help identify this?? And tell me what I need to do if I need to treat it?? Just noticed it on a couple of hens combs. It does not seem to be bothering them, but egg production is off. Don't know if that is related. Thanks. .......stan

[​IMG]

2. GA_in_GA

GA_in_GA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
  3. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    The top, the darker spots...looks like dried blood to me, like when they get pecked at...thankfully I looked at her entire face!
    Looks kinda like black heads on the lower portion of her face?
    That's strange...hope you find out what it is.
    <3

4. tigercreek

I think GA in GA. has it named. Looks like Avian Pox . I looked at the link posted and it is not that bad yet, but I guess I am in the early stages. Been very wet around here in central Fla, and we have mosquitos year round, so if that is it, I think I will try to mist with Oxine and hope it runs it's coarse soon. Searching on BYC says it's not a big deal, but it sure is UGLY!! Thanks!! ...stan

5. GA_in_GA

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    I hope SpeckledHen will take a look and give her opinion. I am a newbie!

6. presley

presley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    I have been dealing with this for weeks now. Have already lost 3 birds, and feel sure will lose 2 more by days end. I had 26 chickens, and my first mistake was getting them from more than one source. (first time chicken person!) I am so sick of this, wish it would just stop! I have talked to a vet that told me there is really nothing to be done, the vaccine must be given when still chicks, like by 12 weeks. Dry pox will usually go away on it own, but some of mine is turning into wet pox, which kills them. The scabs get into their insides and slowly kills them. The last batch of chickens I got was 5 French Cooper Marans, not for showing just for eggs, one rooster and the rest hens, and 2 hens are gone, the rooster will go today am sure. I have wormed them, put antibiotics in water, fed them with droppers, put electrolytes in water, we gutted their coop and cleaned real well, just don't kno what else to do. Some of my chickens, the RI reds, the Barred Rocks, buff Orpingtons, show no signs of getting it whatsoever, don't know if they were vaccinated at birth or what. But the vet said at this point there is no need to separate the sick ones because they have all been exposed. He said just let it run its course and keep doing what we're doing.

HI:I posted the above paragraph previously today in another thread about this same thing. Dry fowl and wet fowl pox are going through my flock, I am in southern Alabama. Wet pox will kill them. Vaccines will not do any good unless given within first 12 days, I said weeks but meant days, according to vet I talked to. It makes you feel helpless because theres really nothing you can do once they get it.I know I will not buy another chicken unless I know it has been vaccinated for Avian pox. Hopefully your chickens will be fine and will not get any worse, some of mine only got the dry pox, and some have no signs at all .

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I do think it resembles fowl pox, Stan, though I've never had that experience (not yet anyway). To distinguish it from peck marks, pox produces a raised, wart-like growth, not just a black mark.

8. GA_in_GA

Jul 2, 2011
    Southwest Georgia
    Thank you, Cynthia.

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It is fowl pox, I've dealt with it. It'll go away on its own in 3-4 weeks. Egg production will slow, but they are safe to eat. Fowl pox is a viral disease, antibiotics wont treat it. You can apply iodine to help dry the wart-like nodules quicker, dont get it in their eyes. If they scratch one and it gets infected, apply neosporin.

10. tigercreek

Thanks for the advice all!! I have not seen this before and was kind of suprised that it is carried by mosquitos- we have them year round here! It looks like there is not much I can do but wait it out.From what I have read so far, it seems like they will be immune for life, and not be carriers. Maybe it;s a good thing to get it over with - kind of like childhood measels?? Thanks again for the help , advice and encouragement. ......stan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by