Moldy & Muddy under the coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LSMom, Jun 20, 2017.

1. LSMom

LSMom Just Hatched

May 15, 2016
    Hi everyone! Our chicken coop is on "stilts" and sits up off the ground. The chickens have lots of room underneath and around it to run around. We have had heavy rain and storms every afternoon for 2 weeks. The ground has gotten moldy and very muddy in one area under the coop (It's about 3 feet off the ground). What can I do to control the moldy mud? It's hard to get under there to dig out the mold. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. firestomp

firestomp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2016
    Indianapolis
    throw in some barn lime/suretrack sold at TSC and others, make sure it is pure crushed limestone. It will help dry things up,knock down odor, change PH in soil, and won't hurt the flock at all, sun will kill the mold once everything dries up. if its mobile, change its position. It will stop raining and all will get back to normal. It happens and will again, you will waste a lot of energy and back pain removing any of the MUD. And it won't stop the mold. These critters dig in everything from mulch piles to manure heaps, both have mold in them.

Fields Mountain Farm likes this.
  3. Fields Mountain Farm

Fields Mountain Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 6, 2017
    Dunlap TN
    I keep it on hand at all times. When I clean out the barn stalls, I have dairy goats too, I put lime down on the dirt, let it sit a bit then rake it into the ground some and top with straw for bedding. Also sprinkle it under the nest boxes. That stuff is great! :)

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The lime should help in the short term....but long term:
    -get the runoff diverted away from that area, swales, berms, gutters, etc.
    -add a good mix of dry plant matter to the area, it will soak up moisture and convert the ammonia in the poops.

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
    http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

Doesn't have to be 'deep' just an inch or two can help.

Fields Mountain Farm likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by