1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moldy Pine Shavings

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChixWstix, May 16, 2007.

1. ChixWstix

ChixWstix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    A friend of mine has a horse that she used to use pine shavings in the horses stall. She no longer wants to use pine shavings and has about 5 extra "bails" of the pine shavings. She asked me if I wanted them. I said sure.

Later she tells me that some of the bags have clumps of moldy shavings. hmmmm. I must have looked concerned, because then she quickly says that it is "typical" and that you can get them that way from the store. She says sometimes the plastic around the bag gets a small hole, it rains, and that part molds.

Is this really typical? Have you purchased bails of pine shavings w/ moldy clumps? Is the "rest" of the bag safe for the chickens? My chicks are 4 weeks old and will be moving soon out to their house.

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Hmmm.....if it was me, i would not use it. I am pretty sure mold is not good for chickens, or any bird for that matter.

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I've never had mold in any of my shavings and mold is bad for you and the chickens.

I don't think I'd shop where she shops. [​IMG]

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Do not use the moldy shaveings. It is very bad for you and the chicks. Hope you didnt pay money for this. UGH! It will make good compost however you will want to keep the chickens out of it.

5. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    We had moldy shavings and lost 7 9 week old auracana chicks. And that was just from a leaky waterer. Don't use it!! Just like what justusnak said it'll make good compost!
    Amy J.

6. Varisha

Varisha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    I use shaving for my horses and it does not come from the store moldy... if it did I would not buy it. Mold is bad for horses as well.

7. ChixWstix

ChixWstix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Thanks everyone for your great responses and input!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] I had read before that mold was bad for chickens, but didn't understand how a bail could be purchased with mold! Glad to know this isn't typical.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by