Moldy Sourdough!?

greencow

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 25, 2013
AHH! My mom always tells me to get my chickens into their coop with a snack, so today I grabbed a piece of sourdough bread. I went outside, and fed it to them, and all was good. When my mom came home, she said that the sourdough bread was bad, and that the pieces were moldy. The bread I gave my chickens had absolutely none of the blue/green/gray mold, or obvious ones. I do remember that the bread seemed extra flour-y. The bread is from a local bakery, so sometimes the bread has more flour than in the big box bread producing places (in fact, it always has more), but I'm freaking out! There's three chickens, and they split one piece. Are they going to be okay!?

Probably fine.

Logic and reasoning of why
  • The pieces you gave them did not have obvious signs of mold
  • Chickens guts are not mistake proof but pretty hardy

If you think you gave them mold the only thing you can do is observe and treat symptoms if they have them. I know this sound easy on paper but there's the panic button that doesn't make it easy.

Not all molds are bad for chickens but as a general rule it is avoided. I hope this all becomes a bad dream and you get away scott free.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/500318/moldy-bread/10

For example of the hardiness of a chicken... A large flock of RIR have survived my great grandparent's scrape bucket (not even flies survived the thing)

Last edited:
I'm sure it'll be fine, Chickens are pretty good about not eating things that are bad for them (most of the time). What you can do is a molasses flush or give them some activated charcoal. For the molasses flush, mix 2 cups of molasses to 5 gallons of water, repeat for 2-3 days. That'll flush out their systems. I'd start as soon as possible :)

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for all the tips and help! I'm a little on edge (as you could probably tell) after recently losing one of our flock members..

Back
Top Bottom