Mole, rats, mice, chipmunks, grampa's feeder, warning graphic photo

Disecky

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
BerkshireCounty Western MA
I have 2 grampa's feeders and one of them keeps getting rodent poop inside resting on the top level of the feed, not down where birds are currently eating. I tried keeping brick on top of feeder but poop is still showing up. I am throwing out way to much feed because of this. Its not in my bagged food, just keeps showing up in the one feeder.
I have been putting traps out from time to time, I got 1 mouse and 1 rat. It does not seem like I have a huge problem (yet).
But more poop in the feeder, so last night I put traps out and decided to put a trap inside the grampa's feeder.
All outside traps had nothing but the trap inside the feeder got this mole.

I am not worried about moles so much but poop in the food is not good. Anyone seen anything like this before?
Also I am getting overrun with chipmunks already, my neighbor feeds them. Should I be trying to reduce those numbers? I hate killing or catching animals but I am worried about health of my birds.

IMG_6072.jpeg IMG_6073.jpeg

You might need to put away the feed at night or cover it, if it's being left out where rodents can get at it. I'm assuming they come at night and not during the day when the chickens are hanging around the feeder? Also, I would put the traps on the ground next to where the feeder is, not in the feed... That mole has been laying on your chickens feed, drooling, bleeding, etc for several hours by the time you find it and dispose of it.

You might need to put away the feed at night or cover it, if it's being left out where rodents can get at it. I'm assuming they come at night and not during the day when the chickens are hanging around the feeder? Also, I would put the traps on the ground next to where the feeder is, not in the feed... That mole has been laying on your chickens feed, drooling, bleeding, etc for several hours by the time you find it and dispose of it.

I had traps outside too, just wanted to see if I would get anything inside. I am throwing out the feed and washing the feeder before it goes back in the my birds. I will start securing feeders over night now. thanks so much for your advice

I have 2 grampa's feeders and one of them keeps getting rodent poop inside resting on the top level of the feed, not down where birds are currently eating. I tried keeping brick on top of feeder but poop is still showing up. I am throwing out way to much feed because of this. Its not in my bagged food, just keeps showing up in the one feeder.
I have been putting traps out from time to time, I got 1 mouse and 1 rat. It does not seem like I have a huge problem (yet).
But more poop in the feeder, so last night I put traps out and decided to put a trap inside the grampa's feeder.

I am not worried about moles so much but poop in the food is not good. Anyone seen anything like this before?
Also I am getting overrun with chipmunks already, my neighbor feeds them. Should I be trying to reduce those numbers? I hate killing or catching animals but I am worried about health of my birds.

View attachment 2563644View attachment 2563645
That's a Shrew. They eat anything, & need to eat every 2-3 hours or they'll die. I've had a shrew, or two in my coops, not often though.

View attachment 2563644View attachment 2563645
That's called a Shrew. Moles very rarely come above ground level.

I was gonna say, moles are insectivores, so if u have moles in your feeder, u must have bugs too. Attached photo is a mole. Interesting little critter. My dog dug this one up, & unfortunately it didnt survive her teeth.

Attachments

• 20190518_092450.jpg
    20190518_092450.jpg
    315.4 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom