Moles and chickens

zephyr16

In the Brooder
May 5, 2017
I did not layer the bottom of the chicken pen with wire before I put the sand down. I only put wire around the outside to keep predators out. Well the moles are tunneling under the pen and my chickens keep trying to get to them or something. The dig these giant hole to China trying to get to them. Anyone else ever had this issue? I plan to go and dig out the dirt and sand, put down wire and then put it all back. Hopefully that will help.

I did not layer the bottom of the chicken pen with wire before I put the sand down. I only put wire around the outside to keep predators out. Well the moles are tunneling under the pen and my chickens keep trying to get to them or something. The dig these giant hole to China trying to get to them. Anyone else ever had this issue? I plan to go and dig out the dirt and sand, put down wire and then put it all back. Hopefully that will help.
I had moles go under my winter housing (greenhouse)—but they didn't last long and the chickens appreciated the treat.

Yeppers.....they are really moving this time if year too, seen lots of new tunnels in the past week or so...in the yard and in the chicken run.

I wouldn't bother trying to screen them out, they won't hurt the chickens but the buried mesh could hurt the chickens feet, especially after it starts to rust and degrade and they might eat the little pieces of metal.

Chickens are going to dig anyway, the tunnels just make it easier, ground is softer. Maybe they are attracted to the movement of the rodents, or the grubs the rodents are after. Not sure if they dig up the tunnels specifically to 'hunt' the rodents, but if they find one they will likely eat it.

really wish KITTY KAT or the crew would eat them or at least kill them. THE ,AH are destroying ever thing around this place.. I stumble around in the mess they leave. They have pushed dirt onto the large rubber stall mats I have in their sand truck topper. now its muddy in there. I hate the AH. We have 3 traps and the AH are too smart to go in them..
thanks all

Oh gracious, my husband tells stories about his golden retriever digging and digging, and then triumphantly catching moles and throwing them up in the air. Doggy heaven. Unfortunately, after the fun was over she would come back to the house, happy and proud of herself, only to find the door shut and locked. Her face was crawling with fleas. :th
So that and ticks are probably the biggest concern...

Dogs and cats can get fleas and ticks from other mammals,
my white dogs head was covered with fleas after skinning a rabbit,
but those pests(mammalian fleas and ticks) won't bother chickens.

Back
Top Bottom