Moles in the encolosed yard

greenpeeps

Songster
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Greenford, Ohio
I went into the enclosed yard today to give my 2, 7 week old chicks some fresh water and food and noticed they had eaten all their food, but wouldn't come to me... When I picked up the feeder I found a whole right behind it. darn moles found the new chicks and their food. I placed some chicken wire on the floor of the yard and some heavy rocks that are already around the perimeter on top of the wire. I wish they were older so they would just eat them. I hate walking though the yard and stepping into a mole hole. I just know one is gonna bite me.

Oh and I do have chicken wire burred around the outside of the yard to keep things from diggin in, Guess I didn't go deep enough.

I've lost the battle with moles (although I still try) but I doubt the moles would bite you.
Moles will only eat subterranean creatures, ie. grubs, worms, centipedes, beetles and their larvae.
They're probably under the feeder because it's a good environment for worms.
My chickens eat mice but detest moles.

I used to have two dogs who would team up to dig out rats and mice to eat them, but would also now touch moles.

Quote:
Chickens eat mice? How do they catch them?
hu.gif

Quote:
Chickens eat mice? How do they catch them?
hu.gif

hu.gif
thats a new one on me

I guess I have fast chickens but they prefer young ones.
My chickens eat lots of frogs too. The do tug of war with them.
sad.png
My poor frogs.

Nice to know that the moles won't bite me, thanks. I guess once the chickens get big enough I'll pick up the wire and let them at'em. The thought of walking through my yard and not spraining an ankle is nice.

Back
Top Bottom