Molly

Kim95037

Songster
11 Years
May 27, 2012
Morgan Hill California
So this is Molly. She injured her leg a while back, I'm not exactly sure how, but I took her to the vet and nothing is broken. I started massaging her knoby little joint above her left leg, it seems to be larger than the other one, and this leg is kind of crooked. Anyway, she seems to like it, she sits there for quite a while, while I do it. Anyway, I have some Arnica cream and was wondering if it could help her but dont know if its safe. Does anyone know if its ok or have any reccommendations? I feel so bad seeing her limp around all of the time. Thanks for any input! Kim

I don't know about the arnica cream, but I've used DMSO many, many times for little birdies with sore legs or feet. It will help relieve pain and reduce swelling.
Use a very dilute mix: 8 parts water to 1 part DMSO. Use twice a day. Be sure Molly's leg is clean and you should wear rubber or latex gloves during application. Use a cotton ball or swab or even a bit of a clean paper towel to apply. You don't need to soak the leg, just get the solution all over the injured area. It will dry quickly and doesn't need any bandaging either.
Don't mix very much at a time, just enough for one treatment, and use a glass container for mixing...I use old baby food jars.

I do use it on myself, as do many of my "country" friends. For people, 50/50 mix is a good bet. I had to have a bit of surgery to remove a little, (golf ball size), fatty tumor from my left arm, just above the elbow, Between the stitches and the bruising the doc wanted to give me some heavy duty pain meds. Nope...I used the DMSO twice a day and had almost no bruising and no pain! Works really well on those bruises you get from bashing yourself on a table corner too.

DMSO is DMSO. No fancy brand name to it. TSC carries it...it's main use is as a horse liniment. You should be able to find it in any feed store that carries horse supplies. You want 99% pure. Some vets carry it as well, but costs way more for the exact same bottle. Look for an opaque white plastic container with blue lettering. Shucks, a picture is worth.......

Cool we have a Tractor Store here too. I love that place. Thanks for the picture, I called them and they have it. Is it good for imflammation too? I've been diagnosed with tarsal tunnel syndrome, its like carpal tunnel but its in your feet. It may end my career here if I dont get something figured out, I'm an electrician and I'm on my feet all day long. I havent found ONE success storie with the surgery they do for it. I've been moving up the pain med ladder for years and I am so sick of taking all of this crap. It only works for a while and then it stops working.
I am so ready for the spaceship. Of course my chickens would accompany me too if it lands anytime soon.

Back
Top Bottom