molt and pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mirsy09, Jan 21, 2011.

1. mirsy09

mirsy09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    White Rock, BC
    My golden laced Polish is molting. Today, I noticed one of the other hens pick at her and she has quite a wound on her head. I assume its because she can't see to get away from the nasty one. I did take her out of the run and put her into a stall in my barn. How long until she finishes molting. She is otherwise fine. She's eating and lively... so I assume its just a waiting game until her new feathers grow in and the small wound heals. I fed her laying mash, cracked corn, alfalfa, some grit and oyster shell. She went right to eating and moving around. Should I bring a couple of her of her friends in for company? Then when I put her back out she won't get picked on again? She never had this problem until she molted?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Molting takes time. No one can tell you exactly how long it will take. I'd try adding some extra protein to her diet to aid the process along. More protein will equal faster feather growth. If you decide to separate her you should definitely separate some friends with her. Flock animals do better when they have some friends around them. Birds with the poufs on their heads are frequently the target of harassment by their coop mates. Hopefully, your problems are just a fluke and not the start of a new behavior trend. I'd be watching the situation closely.

Good luck.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It's not the polish I would remove but the bully, for several days.

4. mirsy09

mirsy09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2011
    White Rock, BC
    Thanx for your help. My gorgeous Polish did well overnight in the barn.... she even thanked me by laying an egg. I assume that hole that was pecked was a "sinus". Its about 1" by 1"But it is dry and no drainage. I did clip back all her feathers on her "poof" so she could have more periferal vision. I did not medicate that pecked hole as I did not want it wet or greasy. Tomorrow i will bring in some other young birds that are not laying yet to keep her company. I think I will wait a week or so before I put her back into my flock and watch carefully that she is no longer picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by