Molt hasn't ended--I'm worried!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dalpop, Nov 30, 2011.

1. dalpop

dalpop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2010
    My beautiful Wheaten Maran, Beyonce, began molting in late April-early May. She's usually a big gal and the loss of practically all her feathers has been shocking not only for us, but for her too. She's had pinfeathers appear but after all this time I would have thought her feathers would have all grown back. I've upped her protein intake in various ways but it's starting to get cold in our area and she is definitely at a disadvantage for winter. I've got a light bulb specifically for warmth for her in the hen house where she roosts at night, and she huddles under it til mid-morning. My big concern is, why haven't her feathers grown back? All the information I've read indicates that they should have grown back after 2-3 months or so. Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Hmmm- that's a toughie [​IMG] the only thing I can think of is maybe she has internal/external parasites? Have you checked for bugs? How's the poo look? How old is she? Could you maybe post a picture?

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    This has been an awful year for me to when it comes to the molt,I have never seen such severe molting before,my girls are finally grown their feathers back but some were asmost nakes in places,I`m still seeing a few feathers in the coop but not like it has been.I`m in northern Maine so I`m glad they are feathering out.I switched them over to purina flock raiser because of the higher protein in it,it did seem to help.Meal worms are high in protein to.I get the dried ones at tsc.

4. dalpop

Mar 19, 2010
    She is about 2, was broody in May a year ago and hatched a lovely family. We had a really hard winter (for us, anyway--temps down in the teens and a lot of snow) but it didn't seem to faze any of the rest of my flock. She is quite feisty, has a good appetite; her poo is normal and I haven't seen evidence of parasites and would think that the other hens in my flock would also have them if she did. I have a molting Ameracauna as well but she has hardly lost any feathers and they're already growing back. Very frustrating...especially as she is a particularly beautiful hen when she's got all her feathers.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    That is a very long time for a molt. 8 months?!

Are you sure there isn't something else going on, like feather picking from the rest of the flock?

6. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:I still suggest at the very least worming her. She may just have a higher parasite load than your other girls. You say you have been upping her protien intake in various ways, what are you doing for her to increase protien? Also, she may be deficient in other vitamins and minerals as well. You can get a chicken multivitamin from the feed store. Can you give us a rundown of her daily diet?

7. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:That's a good point too.

8. dalpop

Mar 19, 2010
    Feather picking would seem likely, but she is the alpha hen in my flock and the other 6 girls wouldn't dare--they hardly can stand to look her in the eye, they're so intimidated. Their daily diet consists of layer crumbles (Purina), kitchen scraps, grass and bugs from their free-ranging activities in the yard, and about once a week they get yogurt or cottage cheese and either a can of tuna or a can of cat food. Also, they get ACV in their water. I'll try to upload a photo of her soon--before and after.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by