molt in the north east

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by old geezer, Nov 16, 2011.

1. old geezer

old geezer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    cambridge , ny
    [​IMG]--questions-- this is only my second winter with chickens--last year only 1 bird went into a small molt --[​IMG]-----but this year--looks like some one had a pillow fight in my coop and run...[​IMG].. i live in " cambridge ny " right off the vt. border between saratoga ny and bennington vt---isn't this kinda late for a molt , ? a few of the hens look like something out of a horror flick..[​IMG]...eggs are way down which i really don't give too much of a hoot about , as they are pets mostly , being in the southern peripheal adirondack mountains , winter here can come fast and stay long , and also can be somewhat brutal for the most part----[​IMG] this late molt something i should be concerned with ????--they have a very nice adequialely sized coop , well ventilated , but not so large they feel like they are roosting in a 10 x10 storage bldg....any input would be really helpfull ,especially from byc living near by ,thanks:old..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by