Molt=lathargic hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by scooter147, Oct 8, 2008.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Has anyone else noticed when their hens molt they become lathargic and feed consumption drops way off or do I have something else going on. The hens not molting seem to be doing just fine.

2. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, they seem to feel bad for looking so ugly. [​IMG]

They also stay away from the general flock when free ranging also....I think they don't want anyone else to see them. [​IMG]

I offer some dry cat food as a treat to increase the protein level and help the feathers to grow back more quickly.

bigzio

3. suebee

suebee Speaks Silkie Fluently

Apr 1, 2007
    N. Carolina
    My hen was in a terrible molt. She stayed in the coop by herself, not wanting to eat much. Here's what I did to speed up the process and give her some pep.

Mix a can of tuna fish and 2 tablespoons of layer with an egg yolk. (just the yolk) Give her 1/3 of it everyday. By the 3rd day she was out with the gang and is growing feathers like crazy!

Make sure you store leftovers in the fridge.

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Molting just makes them feel bad altogether.My sweet Buff Orps,who are the lap chickens don't want a thing to do with me. [​IMG] They get over after their molt & business as usual.

5. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    Yeah, I was really scared about my little bantam hen when she went into her first heavy molt. I thought she was dying! She barely ate and had green poos. She huddled in the nest box or in the corner of the coop. She wouldn't eat any of the high protein that I offered. I finally just started giving her chick feed with the 20% protein levels and I also got some mealworms for her. She is doing just great how....but wow that gave me a good scare!! I think they just know instinctively what they need to do...and they tend to slow down quite a bit so as to conseve energy.

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Hard molt, she's definitly not hanging with the rest of the peeps....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Would you go out in public if half your hair fell out? [​IMG]

8. annaserv

annaserv Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2008
    northern Wisconsin
    My poor Marshmallow, who's normally a big fluffy Cochin is going through a hard one this year. Every time I look at her she keeps getting smaller and smaller. Just a few tail feathers left as of yesterday. The coup is filled with white feathers, the yard is filled with white feathers and she's my only white hen. She only goes outside for a few minutes when I open the door in the evenings and she's back inside, preferably hiding in the nest.

I wonder if it's a bit painful when those new feathers start coming in all over. She really hates to be handled right now. She might look hideous right now but next month she should be her big old fluffy self.

9. larlar23

larlar23 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2008
    Magna Ut
    i think i have two that are doing that . so i need to watch them closly or just like nurmel? any advise would be great. Thank You Laurie

10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been using Fat and Finish, higher fat and calories, but the 20% protein. Then each day I put pellets in the dish, add some water and let it stay moist and they eat it as a nice treat. Don't let this get over 8 hours old (according to heat) it will mold and sour.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by