Molt or Mites?

GregsHotWife

Hatching
Jun 22, 2022
I have 6 hens that are all 8 months old. Two of them are beautiful and perfect. They other 4...not so much. They look very mangy to me. I thought they were molting at first but now I'm not sure. They started by losing tail feathers and then it has continued up their back. I don't notice them picking on each other but I also cant watch them 24/7. They do pick at themselves in those areas but not constantly. I have checked them over and don't see anything on them or in the coop/nesting boxes. I don't really know what I am looking for though. The skin in those areas is either bright red or has yellowish flaky stuff. I suspect they may have quill mites but would like some second opinions from more experienced chicken keepers. I would hate to treat them with ivermectin if I don't need to. What a waste of eggs that would be!
I dont see any horizontal lines in the feathers but they have lots of broken feathers. They are acting normal. No lethargy. Eating normal. Laying near daily. On a side note one of my australorps neck looks like it has been very wet with saliva on the back side recently. I cant be from a dog and not sure if its related.

Attachments

• IMG_9300.jpg
    IMG_9300.jpg
    542.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9297.jpg
    IMG_9297.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9295.jpg
    IMG_9295.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9302.jpg
    IMG_9302.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9298.jpg
    IMG_9298.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9296.jpg
    IMG_9296.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 12
I would suspect feather picking, and the two who have no feather loss may be the ones doing it. Do they get outside to free range? How much room is there in your coop and run? Do they have things to climb on and explore? Boredom, too little room, feeding less than 16-20% protein in a balanced feed, and certain more aggressive breeds may be common causes for feather picking and cannibalism. Do you feed a layer or all flock feed, and limit any treats? A bad tasting oitment such as pine tar or Nustock cream found in the horse supplies of feed stores, may have some effect to prevent pecking and promote healing. Sometimes, feathers may not grow back until the next molt. In severe cases the picker may need to wear some pinless peepers.

18% Layer feed and catfood mixed in for extra protein. No treats other than mealworms. They do get out for a few hours every morning. We have a 1/2 acre yard. They have a 10x6 run with multiple roosting bars. Multiple feeders and waterers. Im sure its too small though. We are building a larger one that will be done in a few months. I have a camera in the run and whenever I think to look at it they are only ever picking themselves.

I agree, it looks more like feather picking, but if you are seeing them only picking at themselves, then treat them with a Permethrin based poultry spray or dust. Do this in 5-7 day intervals, remember to treat housing as well.

18%protein feed should be quite sufficient if it's a balanced poultry feed. I'd omit the cat food.

Back
Top Bottom