1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molt question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by char259, Jul 21, 2011.

1. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    How quickly can/does a molt occur?

My SLW was bare from her middle back to her tail when I got home yesterday. She acted fine - stayed in the coop with her and did not observe anyone picking on her. She mingled with the rest of the flock freely. I examined her closely and there doesn't appear to be any abrasions or peck marks. No blood. Just no feathers. I am not sure how old she is but she was already laying when I got her.

Did not even consider molting last night so I put an apron on her to protect her - but now I'm wondering...

My buff looks scraggly too but no bare spots.

This is my first year and my first flock so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

2. char259

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    Is this in the wrong category? [​IMG]

3. char259

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    anybody?

4. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    You didn't really ask a question, LOL.

Molting sucks. It just does. My 2 are both doing it right now--the pen is full of feathers, they're both cranky, they refuse to come out of the coop unless I force them to, etc. I'm offering lots of high-protein snacks (mealworms, BOSS, etc.) and we'll get through it, but it's not my favorite time!

5. char259

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    I'm sorry. I thought I did. I wanted to know if my slw's quick loss of feathers could be from molt. It pretty much happened over night so I assumed it was from pecking... but I didn't see any trauma that would indicate the other chickens did it. (see my OP)

So I was wondering if a molt would happen that quickly? Or if my first assumption (pecking) was correct.

6. pawsplus

pawsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Middle TN
    It can be pretty quick. My Svetlana molted ENTIRELY for the first time this summer (I've had her 3 years and she always just dropped a few feathers before, but this time it looked like something had attacked her). Clarice isn't molting as badly but last fall she dropped every single feather (nearly) in late October!!! Not good timing, LOL.

So it's hard to say. It could be that quick--more than likely it was on its way to happening and the stress of the move brought it on.

7. char259

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    I've had her for two months and she lays almost every day so she's well adjusted and happy. I guess I'll just keep a close eye on her and see what happens.

thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by