1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molt?

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by doxies1, Jul 15, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Should peacocks be molting now or is there something wrong with mine? He's losing train feathers.

2. xlboergoats

xlboergoats Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2010
    Arp, Texas
    We are in Northeast Texas and ours have started to molt. The peacocks are starting to lose their trains. I have also noticed that our peahens have started to lose some of their feathers too. I was not concerned about it because it is the time of year when our chickens always molt.

Ernie Haire

3. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Mine are starting to molt too, yours are fine

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Mine is molting his tail feathers also.

5. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!! I am new to peas and have only had mine about a month (male is 4yr and females are 2 & 5 yrs old) I was told that they dont molt until August so I thougt I was doing something wrong.
    I also have another question please. I had a peachick hatch out on Tues night and it came from a seller on ebay. Can yall tell me what kind ]it is and if maybe the sex? I dont know how old they have to be to tell but never hurts to ask. Thanks so very much again
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  6. KalikoFarms

Jun 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2011
  7. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    India blue. I can tell at 3 months when female loose barring on their backs.

8. KalikoFarms

Jun 14, 2011
    THANKS!!!!!! They are so beautiful. Ihave been watching it and its trying to fly. I have named it Miracle because we bought 4 eggs of ebay but didnt know what we were doing, and I didnt help one out of the shell and it died, one was infertile and then I have not a clue what happened to the other. This one I did help out of its shell and its doing great.!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is the barring you are talking about the white on the feathers?

9. prairiehen74369

prairiehen74369 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    north east oklahoma
    Pete started losing his train feathers this week I've got ten eyes so far. [​IMG] Ethel and Peeper are doing fine.

10. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:No, the white will fade quickly. Barring is the black and brown "stripes" they will get on their wings (well, the boys).

Look at the wings/shoulder area of this girl:
    http://pixdaus.com/pics/1222687432xXYUl6J.jpg

And then look at the wings/shoulder area of this boy:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ziJX2O6d5...+facts+peacock+image+facts+about+peacocks.jpg

See how his wings are all stripey looking? At about three months, if yours is a boy, it will keep this pattern (both genders have it when young) and the female will grow in solid feathers instead.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by