Molt?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by m.kitchengirl, Feb 11, 2012.

1. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    So, my duck enclosure looks like a cartoon pillow fight gone bad.
    I expected them to lay for a little while before the next molt, will this weird weather induced molt prolong the wait for eggs, or is it a sign they are close to laying?
    I want fluffy cakes and delicate custards. I want duck eggs, darn it.

2. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Ducks have 1 wing molt and 2 body molts per year. Normally ducks lay best in basic plimage. Sounds like yours are molting into basic plumage.

Clint

3. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Our Khaki Campbells are looking a bit like they are entering a molt, and they have not been laying.

My guess is that after the molt, it will be eggs eggs everywhere.

Good luck..........

4. jt13Z

jt13Z Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    MOREHEAD CITY NC
    is it normal for them to molt this time of year? i would have thought they would need those feathers in the winter months. it has been a mild winter here as well will that have any thing to do with it? my back yard looks like it has snowed, pekin feathers everywhere! it seems like she lost most of her feathers in 3 or 4 days and it kinda leveled off.

JT

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I noticed a couple of my older ducks have been molting around their heads, Don't remeber this in years past, they will be 8 this year. Maybe the weather does have something to do with it. [​IMG]

6. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I think the weather is a factor. It has been so up & down. Nobody looks like they're molting, but there are feathers all over the pen. I guess it could be my drake roughing everyone up, but I don't see any bald spots on anyone. Just a tiny patch on one of my chickens where a feather is missing. Again, I blame my ... enthusiastic... drake for that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by