moltiing Rooster in Dec????

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by myday502, Dec 27, 2012.

1. myday502

myday502 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2010
    My poor papa roo looks like he has mange....I am hoping this is molt. Can you confirm or deny that Roosters can molt in Dec. Cold here but I do have a heat lamp in the coop. Gets down to about 19° or 20°. He just looks pitiful. My husband says to put oil on him??? Won't that just coat him with dirt and grime? Any suggestions. Thank you.
    [​IMG]

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Chickens can molt anytime of year, including December. I have some molting now. It wouldn't hurt though to check his skin for any redness, flaking or bugs to be sure there are no other problems.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  3. myday502

Feb 25, 2010
    Thank you for reassuring me it is common to molt in Dec! I will check him out....He isn't as active as normal and my heart breaks cuz he isn't his beautiful self. Thank you for your advice.

4. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    You're welcome. [​IMG]

5. PaulScott

PaulScott Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    NC
    Quote: this time of year , you might consider adding some seed oil , flack seed , or sunflower seed oil to there feed to help them through the molt

6. myday502

Feb 25, 2010
    sorry took me so long in answering...thank you so much. Strange only the roos are molting? BUT I sure will add some to assist them. They look so sad :( I'm so happy it is temporary!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by