1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting after stress?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clickncluck, Jun 16, 2011.

1. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    My 14 week old hen was chased by the dog on Saturday. He must have gotten her tail because she lost a lot of tail feathers. He had her cornered in a neighborʻs yard when I caught up with them. She had a small scrape on her middle toe. We checked her all out. Put ointment and vet wrap on her toe. The next day she wasnʻt wanting to put any weight on her foot. The scrape was cleared up but now the toe was really swollen and bruised. She continued to eat and drink but was lying down a lot and seemed to hop to get around. The swelling improves every day. The bruising is all gone. She still favors that foot. But over the last several days there have been lots and lots of feathers in the coop. Can a stressful event cause her to molt? Should I be doing anything differently? Iʻm new to chickens so please advise.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Are you sure this is not a juvenile molt? This article talks about tha some.

Kansas State feather loss
    http://www.ksre.ksu.edu/library/lvstk2/mf2308.pdf

Stress can bring on a molt, so that is possible, but I'd really suspect it is just a natural juvenile molt.

3. clickncluck

clickncluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Kahaluu on Oahu
    Thanks Ridge Runner. Iʻm such a newbie at all this. I just wondered since the other chicken in the hatching isnʻt losing many feathers.

4. MattMansChickens

MattMansChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    Canada
    yes, i read in a book or somewhere, they do molt from stress sometimes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by