Molting Ameracauna

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by callmeskipper, Oct 16, 2008.

1. callmeskipper

callmeskipper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    One of my four girls is molting (whoever described their coop as looking like a pillow fight just happened really nailed the description!). Does anyone know how long it will last?
    Are some breeds more prone to this than others?
    Thanks!
    Danielle

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's not a breed thing, it's a bird thing. ALL birds molt. And it can take a few weeks.

3. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I agree all my birds are molting some are taking about a two weeks and some have been at it for a month now.

Henry

4. Firefly

Firefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2007
    Connecticut
    I have two RIRs, one has been going through a pretty hard moult for almost a month, poor girl. The other went through it very slowly and gradually (started in August, is just finishing up now)-- she continued to lay through the process but not as frequently. Don't worry, it will pass!

Kelli

5. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] Do you promise it will pass? [​IMG]

DH went to hen house the first of them moulting...he almost closed the door to get me! He thought something had gotten a hen!
    [​IMG]

I have Ameraucana's too and have never seen any bird moult like this year! I've been feeding mine a higher cal/fat food atleast until they get all their feathers. Good luck- save the nice feathers, its cool when you give a kid that comes to visit a feather, they love them!

6. mackenziesmomma

mackenziesmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    This time, mine lasted about a week.

7. callmeskipper

callmeskipper Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2008
    Thank you all for your advice! Have a great weekend.
    Danielle:)

8. farmgirlinok

farmgirlinok Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    I have Ameracaunas molting at 11 months, is this normal? I know it is shorter days and colder, but I add light in the coop at night to compensate and all my other breeds don't molt. I have never had any chickens molt at 11 months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by