Molting Ameracauna

callmeskipper

Chirping
12 Years
May 8, 2008
One of my four girls is molting (whoever described their coop as looking like a pillow fight just happened really nailed the description!). Does anyone know how long it will last?
Are some breeds more prone to this than others?
Thanks!
Danielle

hcammack

Crowing
12 Years
Oct 5, 2007
Vermont
I agree all my birds are molting some are taking about a two weeks and some have been at it for a month now.

Henry

Firefly

Songster
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
Connecticut
I have two RIRs, one has been going through a pretty hard moult for almost a month, poor girl. The other went through it very slowly and gradually (started in August, is just finishing up now)-- she continued to lay through the process but not as frequently. Don't worry, it will pass!

Kelli

spook

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
North Central Florida
Quote:
Do you promise it will pass?

DH went to hen house the first of them moulting...he almost closed the door to get me! He thought something had gotten a hen!

I have Ameraucana's too and have never seen any bird moult like this year! I've been feeding mine a higher cal/fat food atleast until they get all their feathers. Good luck- save the nice feathers, its cool when you give a kid that comes to visit a feather, they love them!

farmgirlinok

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
NE Oklahoma
I have Ameracaunas molting at 11 months, is this normal? I know it is shorter days and colder, but I add light in the coop at night to compensate and all my other breeds don't molt. I have never had any chickens molt at 11 months.

Top Bottom