Molting and adding heat to coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the ladies mom, Nov 17, 2014.

1. the ladies mom

the ladies mom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2012
    Arkansas
    I live where we are normally 20 - 30 degrees warmer this time of year. I have 2 hens that decided to wait to molt until now. Not a small molt but bare skin molt. With our temps going so low - Do I add heat at night for them in one area so they can get keep warm until feathers come in?
    I usually do not heat without any problems.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Make sure there are no drafts. If they are shivering or always piled together, i would a small heat lamp for at least a little bit during the day or night to take the chill out of the air.

3. the ladies mom

Apr 14, 2012
    Arkansas
    Thanks, I think I will for the next night and day. After the next few days the weather will moderate. Teens this time of year is just absurd. Dusting of snow as well.

4. annabelle12

annabelle12 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I know it! Our temps are dipping to around 10 degrees tonight. Unseasonably cold. Dang polar vortex! I agree with no heat usually - but I can see if they are featherless, it might help! Just make sure they have ventilation still:)

5. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    I wouldn't add heat, maybe take that girl in if you can? In garage or cellar? I just had a bantom who had a hard molt and luckily she was ok to stay out. Good luck!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Boost her protein up to help grow those feathers faster, actually the cold will spur growth as well.
    Meat scraps and/or meal worms and/or eggs...some kind of animal protein.

7. the ladies mom

Apr 14, 2012
    Arkansas
    Thanks to everyone. I have been feeding last years ground venison with small amount of oatmeal as a protein boost when they started molting back in september. I did turn the warming light on for them last night. The 2 that are molting were under it this am but it looks like temps will be back to normal tomorrow so hope now all is well. The barred rock is the saddest thing I have ever seen. She is one of my best layers.
    They actually came out of coop/ shed area today to free range so temps are definitely getting better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by