molting and being a brat!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Oct 21, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My oldest hen (she's 6) is molting along with everyone else. She always looses more feathers than most and all at the same time (she has a naked baboon butt right now) But this year she is also being a total B!@#. Is this normal? she doesn't seem sick, zero symptoms, other than hating EVERYBODY and wanting to be left alone.
    Is there anything special I can give her to make it easier on her? A little st Johns Wort??? LOL! she gets good food and probiotics and vitamins and whatever the heck else she demands . . . I'm worried age is catching up with her.

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    My hen that is molting the worst right now is also being a real grouch! As a matter of fact, she bit me a little bit ago when I was out checking for eggs. [​IMG]

From what I've read, it just goes with the molting.

3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    oh thanks for telling me that! I feel much better about it!

4. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    If I even touch my EE right now she screams like a banshee! It's like i'm the bloody ghost of Christmas Past! [​IMG]

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Imagine having all those growing feather shafts poking through your skin; must be itchy. And imagine you don't have any fingers to scratch, just a beak that doesn't reach every itchy place on your body. We'd all be grumpy if we had to go through this.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:Very true! [​IMG]

7. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:that's what mine is doing! she's been a pain in the past but MAN is she overdoing it this year. . .
    In a way it's kind of funny, she's old and she's starting to look it and right now her whole but is truly naked and bright red, she looks like an old lady bending over in the garden!

8. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    We have a Buff that's in just the same condition right now. We actually picked her up yesterday to take advantage of this fine opportunity to look for mites (there were none). Boy was she ticked!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by