Molting and blue feather pins?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Morgan7782, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    This is my first go round with a molting chicken, and I am pretty darn sure this girl is molting. I took some pictures and noticed new feathers coming in but the stems are blue, like a peacock or something. Is this normal? Here are some pictures, pretty sure is it a molt she is acting normal and no bugs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yup, perfectly normal. They're that dark purple/blue color at this point because they are still live tissue and full of blood. They'll soon grow, harden, and all of that will be gone, and they will turn whatever color they are going to be.

Pretty chicken, btw.

3. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    Yep she's moulting. This was my first year with moulting too and one of my hens had so many of those she looked like a porkupine. [​IMG]

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    LOL good to know! Yes this poor brahma looks just awful. All her black tailfeathers fell out, along with head and neck as you can see. She one of my prettiest girls too lol but now yes she looks like a porkipine! [​IMG] glad to know that is normal, thanks for sharing your experience [​IMG]

I am not totally new to chickens but don't recall having molting hens when I had them a few years ago, this is my first time [​IMG] I have her on a 20% protien feed along with lots of good treats like canned tuna and stuff. She stopped laying also, which I have read is normal. How long does it usually take? This is her 9-10 month old "mini molt" she is about 10ish months old. And she won't be too cold, right? Weather is mild here, dipping into the mid 30's during the night. Her coop is totally draft proof, but it is VERY damp here right now, is she prone to catch anything?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  5. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Yes, mine is finally over the molting part, and new feathers are coming in. She was miserable there for awhile. Glad it's almost over for this round anyway.

6. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Yes, it looks just the coloring isfrom the feathers through the feather [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by