1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

molting and egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenBiscuit, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ChickenBiscuit

ChickenBiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    My 5 18 month old EE hens started molting in September and stopped laying. They seemed to be done molting in early November and I started getting one egg a day (total). I got one egg a day for about 2 weeks and for the past 2 weeks I've gotten nothing. They are all fully feathered and looking good. What could be going?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Unless you are providing supplemental lighting, they are feeling the effect of shortened daylength. Chickens need somewhere in the area of 14 hours of 'daylight' for optimum egg production.

3. ChickenBiscuit

ChickenBiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I get that. But they haven't laid any eggs in 2 weeks. That can't be normal.

4. momma of a chicken lover

momma of a chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    Out of my four chickens, I get one egg every three or four days. Two of them just aren't laying at all. Two of them are taking turns so the two that are laying are giving me one a week right now. I just picked up a string of solar Christmas lights for in their coop. Now I wait a couple of weeks to see if they have an effect... Ahhh chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by