1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting and egg production

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TexasNovice, Nov 28, 2012.

1. TexasNovice

TexasNovice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    My chickens have started molting and egg production ceased. How long before egg production resumes, on the average. Thanks

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Roughly 3 months, depending on how hard the molt is. The harder the molt, the faster they seem to grow back in. When they lose feathers in bits, it seems to take much longer. Once all their feathers are grown back in, they have to get their body weight back up to a sustainable level. Then they can lay eggs again.

3. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    If the hens are older you may not see eggs until spring. It also depends on the breed and if you are supplementing with artificial light though the winter.

4. TexasNovice

Jun 6, 2011
    They are not quite 2 years old -- Red Sex linked.

Thanks for your help. It is always comforting to have experts to rely on.

5. TexasNovice

Jun 6, 2011
    I forgot to add. I am giving them 14 hours of "daylight".

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They still have to finish the molting process. Then the lighting will help. Feathers are mostly protein and their bodies cannot replace feathers and lay eggs too. All their energy has to go into replacing feathers. You can help it along by giving them high protein treats, like mealworms, meat scraps, etc.

7. TexasNovice

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by