Molting and Low Energy??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unix_micki, Oct 14, 2011.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    My flock is going through a molt right now and they don't seem to have as much energy, is it because all their energy is going into new feathers or is there something else i should look for?? They will find a spot and rest there. They are just coming out of an illness so they are still recovering and i am making them higher protein foods and putting garlic and ACV in water. Normal stools....am i missing anything?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yes, it' probably as you say, their energy is going to making new feathers. Molting is hard on them, good job on the extra protein [​IMG]

3. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Quote:thank you

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mine are going through molt also and on top of all you have said I am also putting poultry nutri drench in one of their smaller waterers, just for a little extra vitamins.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I would check closely for parasites. The stress of illness and molting can put them at risk for mites, lice and worms. Check all over for mites and lice. If none, consider taking a fecal sample in to check for worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by