Molting and Mean Hens ***PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BabyGirls, Dec 21, 2008.

1. BabyGirls

BabyGirls Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2007
    Concord, NC
    OK so we are into almost our winter here in NC and one of my girls has decided to be a late molter but the problem is she is pretty bare, I can see the other feather ready to come through but the other Girls are really picking on her.

Should I move her or let her be. She is about 7 years old and not sure if the stress of motling and being picked on is worse or stress from being seperated from the others. They are not making her bleed just pciking at the new feathers I imagin. She would be moved to a totally different building and not near the others at all. Thoughts and advise is greatly apprecaited.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2008
  2. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Is there any way you can put her in a large crate inside the coop? Or chicken wire off a portion of the coop for her? I think she will be so much happier if she can see and hear the others, even though they are meanies! and re-integration should not be a problem.

3. BabyGirls

May 24, 2007
    Concord, NC
    I really can't seperate her inside the coop area, just not enough room. I hate to do that but they are aggressive when they see weakness at all. I have seen them change pecking orders a couple times over the last 2 years but still always challenging the others.

I hate that if I do seperate her it may have to be for days/weeks and I don't think that will be good and having to reintroduce her might be worse.

4. BabyGirls

May 24, 2007
    Concord, NC
    Today I have to make the decision on if I should move her far away from the others (by herself)

PLEASE any advise on if it is normal for them to pick and leave her there or not as I am not sure that they pick at each other when molting? I really dont want to move her but her safety is important- they are not drawing blood but I hate to see her get picked on.

5. BabyGirls

May 24, 2007
    Concord, NC
    She is getting worse swaying, walking low to the ground and seems drunk almost. Not sure she is drinking or eating enough?

No one has responded yet but I am going to bring her in to the house and try to protect her from the other picking. Not sure if this is normal behavior for them to go through?

6. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    [​IMG] Sounds like she is ill. The other birds may be picking on her because they can sense that, doesn't sound good. Get her out and into a quiet place asap, try to figure out what is wrong--check poop, crop, etc...maybe it is just her time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by