1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting and no eggs in Winter

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jennymay, Dec 10, 2010.

1. jennymay

jennymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    We have two red hens that we rescued last spring. We don't know their ages or what kind they are, but they have been good egg layers and healthy, happy birds for several months. We had a very cold spell here in Idaho a few weeks ago, (single digits for a week)which has passed now (we are back in the 30-40's), but the birds have stopped laying eggs and are now losing all their feathers. Is this normal, and what can we give them to get them happy again?

2. calicokat

calicokat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    Yep, pretty normal. Seems like the birds molt this time of year, and then with the shorter days too egg production slows or stops. I give mine more protien treats when they are molting to help with growing all those new feathers (Scrambled eggs are great!). But mostly you just have to wait it out, and tell them they still look beautiful to you [​IMG]

3. theblackridge16

theblackridge16 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    Im new at this but i kind of went through the same thing a few months ago do to a lack of light. They just started laying regular again so it might take a while for yours to lay again at least that was my experience. I dont know if you believe in putting heat on them but i do and i think that would help. I run two heat lamps on mine and they seem to enjoy the warmth!

4. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Daylight hours are very short right now. My guess is that you will continue to find eggs, just not everyday. Another option is to add light to the coop... that might help. I would worry about 2 chickens being able to keep themselves warm in that kind of cold. We have those temps here and colder- but a lot more chickens for cuddling! Don't give up- they will surprise you!

5. theblackridge16

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    I think everything will be fine with some light and warmth we have ares laying everyday! We have 15 hens and get 12-14 a day! Good luck and im sure everthing will get back to normal in no time!

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I think you just need to give them some time to go through their molt and take a little egg-laying break. I don't put artificial lights on my girls. The way I look at it, they have been laying all summer long so if their bodies need a break to shed and regrow their feathers then that is what they're going to get from me. As much as I dislike having to buy eggs I'd rather be fair to my girls than demand that they continue to lay. [​IMG]

7. jennymay

jennymay Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2009
    Thank you alot! We did install a heat lamp and they are obviously enjoying it. Thanks for the protein tip and away we go. [​IMG]

8. DTRM30

DTRM30 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Just be careful with your heat lamp - be sure it isn't too close to any bedding, dust or otherwise potentially flamable materials. Thoese heat lamps can start a fire if too close even if it's cold out. I use one to keep the water from freezing, but they get the added bonus of having a little extra warmpth at night.

That being said, I've just gone through the same thing. 1/2 my flock of 15 are going through a heavy molt, plus the lack of daylight and sudden cold - I'm getting very few eggs. The other 1/2 of my flock is silkies so they don't really lay much for eggs anyway (very small and only one every few days)

9. theblackridge16

Dec 9, 2010
    Pintura, Utah
    glad they are enjoying the heat lamp! i hope that helps keep them happy, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by