Molting and protein powder.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by purpletree23, Dec 12, 2013.

1. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I just read the post about molting and learned a lot. Unfortunately I couldn't find the answers to the very good questions asked by BYC'ers. My flock is molting and I was also wondering if I can add protein powder to oatmeal for them and what brand of wet cat food has the lowest sodium?

Thanks in advance.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://webpages.charter.net/katkarma/canned.htm
    Is a link that shows the sodium percentages in a lot of wet cat foods, not sure what is available in your area.
    Do you mean like protein powder for people? They do often have artificial sweeteners in there which I wouldn't like for chickens, but otherwise it is usually just whey/soy and as a supplement it wouldn't bother me to feed them some I had some sitting around. But it would probably be a whole lot more expensive than just getting a bag of high protein game bird food, or high protein chick starter if buying something.

3. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Thank you so much for the information on the protein powder. I'm not familiar with it and had no idea that it contained artificial sweeteners. I don't want to give them that![​IMG] I have the grower/show bird crumbles with a higher protein amount so I will stick to that. I just want to do more for them because they seem so miserable and look like they've been through a typhoon.

I did purchase feather fixer from Nutrena but they won't eat it. Maybe I'll mix it with yogurt and see how that goes. Pickey little monsters but I love them to death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by