Molting? Are my babies sick? Help!!!!! *ligth brown leghorns

Chicky91

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 7, 2014
In previous post my chickens aren't laying yet. But it looks like they are loosing their feathers? They also get veary nosy when i walk in coop could it be they are afraid of me I never hurt them before. I don't know i'm just worried. I love my babies & just hope they are ok
barnie.gif

Your chickens are okay. Molting is not just the process of losing feathers but the process of renewing the reproduction cycle. Were they pullets? And what kind of noise are they making?

Your Leghorns are most likely not afraid of you. They are known to be really flighty sometimes.

Last edited:
They are about 6 months. They cluck but one of them tends to have a higher pitch cluck than the others. Not a rooster tho. They follow me around the coop & make a lot of clucking noises when i leave. I think maybe because i gave them strawberries as a treat not to long ago and im the one who feeds and gives them water so do they assume i have food for them every time? lol

They always think we have food!!
smile.png
Even when they are full. Twistedfeather gave you good advice. They are molting. I have a few that look almost naked. I feel so bad for them.

We have 60 hens and today I got 3 eggs. Molting stops egg production. Then comes winter, and unless you have adequate light in the coop, or live in a sunny area, they need 10 hours of sun to make that egg.

Springtime will be here before you know it and everything will be good.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom