Molting bird/ baby chicks and a cold night ?

Chicksnmind

Songster
Feb 16, 2018
Central Florida
Tonight is going to be 36 degrees here in Florida . This is not a normal for us. I have the run and coop tarped up but it’s SOoo windy(20mph gusty wind) that it’s still blowing through my run where Momma Silkie and her four 5day old chicks are. I’ve very securely hung a heating lamp over their section and all my chickens are huddling against the divider that separates the grown birds and new chicks trying to keep warm. It’s only 54 degrees so far! My d’uccle is half naked in full molt and looks cold. She doesn’t snuggle up to the others right now because I think she is uncomfortable with her molt.

Will they be alright or do I need to bring them in tonight?

My chicken flock consist of 3feathered silkie/cross 11 weeks, 2 silkie 11 weeks, 1 silkie yr old Roo, 2 yr old silkie hens ( one being momma), EE, and my naked d’uccle. Plus the 5 day old chicks.

Last edited:
I would say they should be alright but keep an eye on them for signs of lethargy which would indicate hypothermia. They should huddle, or sit close and share heat. Try to stop any drafts if possible.

Thanks .

I just checked on the babies and two them are out from underneath Momma and eating so I guess they can’t be that cold . The tarp keeps flying up so I’ve secured it a bit better at the bottom. Now I’m just hoping the tarp doesn’t rip. Whew it’s so windy.

I have a hen in full on moult right now too, it's awful. She doesn't want to touch anyone for warmth, and just sits alone on the edge of the roost (she's NEAR them, but won't touch), looking miserable. I put a heat lamp in there today for her - I know it's a horrible idea, but it's super secure....and it's only on when I'm home and can keep an eye on it. She sat under it all day, along with the others! Now she's up on her roost in the dark and cold :(

Back
Top Bottom