Molting Challanged....me!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Oct 4, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I am guessing that one of my drakes has started to molt; however, am wondering if could be due to other drakes picking on him (pulling feathers). He has started to lose the larger feathers out of his wings, and looks a little ratty, but does not appear to be losing feathers elsewhere. (yet?)

[​IMG]

Full body shot....whoops, bad choice of words....picture

[​IMG]

Close-up that top feather is kind of flapping in the breeze

He is 'fluffing' his wings..just a really small flap...continually.

Year two of being a duck owner is going to be easier because I will have a clue what I am doing, right?[​IMG][​IMG]
    Signed, Worry Wart

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    The wings will molt separately from the body feathers to a degree. Yes, I'd say his wings are molting. [​IMG]

3. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Thanks, Carol. I figured, but wanted to check with someone who knew something!

4. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I posted these pics back on October 4th. The drake in the picture, and his buddy, are still looking pretty shaggy. The one has filled in his feathers and is pretty much waterproof, but the duck in the pic is still getting wet when exposed to water and feathers are thin. How long does it take for them to grow feathers back in when they molt?

Current pics.

The one that appears to be getting feathers back in.
    [​IMG]

The one that is really slow to get feathers back. He was in the pond this morning and still visibly wet.
    [​IMG]

They are eating good, active, seem healthy otherwise....and I found out they know when to get out of the pond when they are getting too wet.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  5. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Someone suggested they might have mites? If this is the case, what do I look for to find out?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Some mites look like little beige or brown flecks (I have to wear my eyeglasses when I check).

And yes, my ducks sometimes seem to molt in sections. Vier had a head and shoulders molt, then a body feathers molt, then a wing feathers molt. Right now Sieben is starting to lose wing feathers. Zehn, on the other hand, went for the full treatment and while it began with her long wing feathers, she quickly started shedding all kinds of feathers right and left. They're growing back in.

Not all of my ducks have that well-preened shine all the time. Vier and Sieben get a little damp and droopy looking after a splash - I don't see them actually get into the swim pan much if at all - they'll splash their heads and let the water run down their backs. They just don't seem to like baths. Could be because sometimes the others want to play hop on top and they don't like being held under water.

7. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Had to add to this. Went out and inspected Watson's feathers today. Found no evidence of mites or lice or anything. The amazing part, was this duck, who I call "the spastic duck" because he is oh so high struck, hates people, and runs the whole flock, breeds with anything that moves - constantly, actually let me pick him up, lay him in my lap, and gently inspect his feathers quite thoroughly, without even struggling. Then I sat there and petted him for another 5-10 minutes or so. The minute I got up and took him toward the duck house, it was back to get-me-the-heck-outta-here high strung duck! But it was an amazing few minutes! I would never have believed it was possible. Even told my husband this morning it would probably take two of us to inspect his feathers - hubby was not too enthusiastic on that one!

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Aw, it's so nice to have a quiet time of sweetness.

[​IMG]

Silly ducks!

9. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Molting for my drakes has lasted up to 8 weeks before usually is a bit faste much. I wouldn't worry to as long as your seeing new feathers coming in [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by