Molting chicken going in coop and roosting during the day.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SpotJL, Oct 22, 2014.

1. SpotJL

SpotJL Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2012
    One of our four chickens, a 2year old Easter Egger has started going in coop and roosting during the day. They are all molting and have stopped laying. Catherine (who is roosting) is top of the pecking order. She is molting the most of the four. Has any one had a similar experience?[​IMG]

2. SpotJL

Dec 26, 2012
    It is dark in the coop I opened door to take.photo.

3. tblee

tblee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2013
    lowestoft England
    She may just be feeling a little under par and lacking energy and tired, I would supplement her diet to help her through the molt, also it could be warmer for her in the coop

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I have found that my chickens change their behavior during molting. Many of them become quick-tempered and meaner. Some of them are less active and spend more time in or near the coop. If your hen is acting fine otherwise, I'd suspect that she just isn't feeling good from molting. Molting can be stressful, and certainly doesn't make a hen feel any warmer. To help her out, you can give her some electrolytes and probiotics and make sure that she's eating and drinking enough. Supplementing with high-protein feeds like gamebird feeds, mealworms, sunflower seeds, scrambled or hardboiled eggs, and small amounts of wet cat food could help.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  5. SpotJL

Dec 26, 2012
    She doesn't have much of an appetite but has a full crop...
    Thanks for the advice we'll keep an eye on her...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by