Molting Chicken Pecked at by Others?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BrittPDX, Dec 3, 2012.

1. BrittPDX

BrittPDX New Egg

Dec 3, 2012
    I'm down to two chickens in my flock after losing two to hawks within the last month. Saturday, one of my girls started molting - hard - and lost a lot of her feathers all at once. When I went outside to let the girls out that morning, I found her hunkered down in the laying box and my other chicken in the run. I let both out, and almost immediately, the non-molting chicken pecked at my molting girl. I've since separated them, but I worry that it's stressful for both of them, since there are only two left in the flock. They can see each other during the day (altho my Molting girl is sleeping in a dog cage).

Here's what I would love to have your advice about:
    1) Is it normal for hens to peck on molting birds?
    2) How long should I keep my moulting girl isolated from the other hen?
    3) Is a week too long to keep her in a very large dog crate? (i installed a roost, put plenty of shavings and straw inside)

Thank you so much for your help!

2. BrittPDX

BrittPDX New Egg

Dec 3, 2012
    I should note that i just increased both girls' protein intake - cat food, meal worms and scrambled eggs!

3. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    First [​IMG]

I really can't answer your questions, but have noticed in my flock the girls that go through a hard molt are often bumped down in the pecking order. My flock isn't overly aggressive w/ each other so it isn't serious enough to seperate or anything. Hopefully someone will have a more direct answer to your questions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by