1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting chicken walking funny. Normal or not??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sallihennipenni, Dec 8, 2012.

1. sallihennipenni

sallihennipenni Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Central Illinois
    I have a 1/12 yr old RIR hen that is going through a heavy molt. A few days ago I noticed she was walking in a crouched position. She doesn't do it all the time. She CAN run and walk upright, however she seems to be in this crouched position most of the time. Sometimes I SEE HER STAGGER AS THOUGH SHE WERE DRUNK! I read that it may be a Vit B deficiency, so I isolated her in the run and gave her a treat with a Vit B formula in it. She ate just a little and then spent the rest of the time worrying that she wasn't able to be out with her friends.....pacing back and forth in the run like a completely normal hen. I don't understand why she sometimes acts normal and other times walks crouched. I would think the crouching would be an indication that she's weak....so I wouldn't expect her to be able to run and walk normally. What gives??? Any advice will be appreciated!! Here's a picture of her. Her feet aren't curled. Her comb is red. Does this have something to do with the molt?
    [​IMG]

2. carrie+chicks

carrie+chicks New Egg

Sep 3, 2009
    Foster, OR
    I have a chicken that is doing the same thing now. What ended up happening with yours? Thanks for your help. I'm worried about her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by