Molting chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marctrejo, Oct 28, 2015.

1. marctrejo

marctrejo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    I think one of my chickens is molting. She has the tale tale signs from what i have read on here. My question is should i keep her sepparated from my other hens or would it be alright for her to mingle? I am new at raising chickens. I plan on buying some dry cat food for added protien. But i just want to be sure it would be alright to have her with the rest.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have never separated anyone during a molt, just try not to handle them too much and don't be surprised if they look a little uncomfortable and if they hide for a week or so.

3. marctrejo

marctrejo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    Thanks. She has stayed at the back of her coop. She has quit laying and eating and drinking somewhat. For the most part she looks all right

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Be careful with the cat food, I tried it one year, some didn't want it, others got a bit of diarrhea, I prefer to switch my birds to a higher protein feed like grower or all flock, you can also feed them eggs, meal worms, and a bit of cottage cheese amongst other things.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Best to leave her with the flock, they can isolate themselves and get a bit lethargic when molting.

Ditto on the protein advice given by @oldhenlikesdogs ......from another old hen who likes dogs :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by