1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting chickens = MOODY chickens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dg14, Dec 3, 2016.

1. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    So my flock is beginning to lose there feathers as the cold weather approaches, they are becoming a lot more mean to each other one of em is hiding on the perch as one of them keeps going after her. not sure separating them would do anything.its not that bad yet. any recommendations to keep them healthy, and in good nutrition? it doesn't get to snow where i reside, but it does go down to the 40s within this month sometimes. almost feel like knitting the one with severe feather loss a sweater LOL thanks in advance.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I just let it happen.You could just remove the bully.

3. dg14

dg14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2014
    Yeah right. its slightly comical as the "bully" is my buff orpington bantam which is half her size. lol!

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    It helps to boost the protein levels in their feed, as more protein is needed during the molt to replace feathers. I use an all-flock feed (18% protein), and give them scrambled eggs approximately once a week.

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes indeed, they can get crabby and not 'feel well' so might isolate to rest.
    I wouldn't separate unless copious blood is flowing.
    Is your coop crowded? That can add to the problem.
    Are there plenty of places for a bird who wants to isolate do so without being harassed?

Definitely give higher protein during molt.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by