Molting Chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Red Star 2019, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Red Star 2019

Red Star 2019 In the Brooder

Oct 13, 2019
    I have 15 Red Star Chickens, they have been in a molt for the past two months and I thought they were done molting but they haven't started back laying like they should. I bought feather fixer feed for them to give them higher protein to 20%, they get vegies from the garden and cracked corn scratch. Have any suggestions or are they long molters and need more time to come out of the molt?

Sequel and Eggs2chicks like this.
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Where are you located and what are the ages of your hens? The earliest I've had a Hen resume laying here after the fall molt was the end of December. They need down time to build up their reserves too. It takes a lot out of they to produce eggs. Higher production hens will suffer the most.

Sequel, Morrigan and Eggs2chicks like this.
  3. Red Star 2019

Red Star 2019 In the Brooder

Oct 13, 2019
    My hens are approx 17 months old and I live in northern Wisconsin. They are Red Stars.
    I make sure they are wormed and put diatemaceous earth in the tub they dust themselves in for their feathers.

4. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Crowing

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I have Golden Comets, a Red sex-link chicken. Last winter one of them took 2 months to complete molt. It took another month for her to Start laying again. She was 2.5 years old at the time. GC

Sequel and Eggs2chicks like this.
  5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Great Horny Toads

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I am in Wisconsin too. If we have a very cold year many of my hens won't lay much during winter as they divert their energy to staying warm. I wouldn't expect much before December. Sometimes sex links burn out after a year or two. Keep them on a higher protein ration, 18-20% to help them molt and build up their reserves quicker.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I believe the feather fixer is 18%...and the scratch and veggies is lowering that.

rosemarythyme, Sequel and Eggs2chicks like this.
  7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    :welcome :frow I have been feeding my older birds Game Bird Breeder pellets which is 20% protein. My birds are and have been molting but I am getting some eggs. My younger birds get Grower pellets which is 21%. My eggs are mostly coming from my older birds. My younger birds are pretty much on strike for now. Each bird is different and often times they do quit laying and can take some months off before they start laying again and the days are getting shorter. Good luck and have fun...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: