Molting chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChicknBaron, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ChicknBaron

ChicknBaron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    I know what it is but i dont know how it work?? i have a few questions, as do many other people out there i'm sure, so if you could clue me in on a few of these things, it would be very much appreciated!! So... for starters WHEN? like any particular time they like to. HOW LONG DOES IT LAST? Do they still lay eggs? do they lay eggs sometimes? I know its when they get new feathers and what not but does anything else take place when they molt? any other things you know that i should know and would like to know, PLEASE tell me.[​IMG]

2. mommahen64

mommahen64 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Attleboro
    I was just logging in to ask the same questions. I have an OEG bantam that looks like she's dying. She's eating fine, fiesty as ever, but looks awful. Not sure if I should be doing something extra. Also not sure why only one is molting?? Is that a bad sign?

Thanks everyone!

3. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    I pretty sure that they don't all molt at the same time but man mine have been molting FOREVER! Hopefully we'll get some answers pretty soon[​IMG]

4. creative4life

creative4life New Egg

Sep 18, 2012
    I have three that are going through molt. My Australorp, Dolly started to molt at the middle of June and then got sick. After antibiotics and weeks of having her separated I finally reintroduced her only to have Betty Lou, Buff Orpington, attack her. BL was put into "time-out" for a week while Dolly and Wynonna (golden-laced Wyonndote) enjoyed the coop. Now they are all together getting along mostly and now all molting. Feathers everywhere.

From last year's experience and what I have read is that all chickens will molt at the end of summer (though it could happen earlier). It can last for weeks to a month or so. It really depends on your chickens, how well tended the coop is and lighting. Seems to me they do somewhat follow each others cycles. Many factors to consider, I know but this is all from what I have experienced as a chicken keeper of 3 years. Perhaps someone else has a different take on this.

5. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    even if people have the same breeds their individual flock is always going to be different in some way... so pretty much it's just going to vary from flock to flock on when and how long they molt...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by