Molting Cochin???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cockeyed LouLou, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Cockeyed LouLou

Cockeyed LouLou New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Carmel Valley, CA
    Hello all,

I am new here and have a question. I recently adopted two older rescue hens and had to take the owners word that one was a Cochin. Neither here nor there, I love her, but I have noticed that her feet and legs are sparsely feathered. They are fluffy all the way down her two outside toes which is normal, but it is just fluffy and somewhat scraggly down instead of feathers. Is she only part Cochin or maybe she just finished molting? I posted a pic. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cockeyed Lou Lou
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    She's not a Cochin. She's a Dark Brahma, which are similar to Cochins, but have less feathering on their legs. It looks like she may have finished molting, too.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Nope, your new bird is not a Cochin. She is a Dark Brahma, a similar looking breed that is less fluffy, has less leg feathering, and is slightly smaller in size than a Cochin. But it does look like she has recently finished molting.

4. Cockeyed LouLou

Cockeyed LouLou New Egg

Oct 17, 2013
    Carmel Valley, CA
    Wow! Thanks you guys! I knew something was off and now I know. I am still learning (and oh, is there so much to learn). Well, time to update a few chicken posts, and eat a little crow. ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by