Molting & Egg eating

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5Leepy!, Nov 3, 2011.

1. 5Leepy!

5Leepy! Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hi there,

My Hen, Scrappy, is going through a very hard molt. We're giving her lots and lots of protein to help her out (BOSS and Sardines mostly). Her molt is so hard on her that she's walking around like a drunken sailor. In the last week, she's laid 3 eggs (no laying for a couple of months prior) and she's eaten all 3 eggs. She eats them immediately after laying so we don't have a chance to get to them. She does not eat the shell, only the yolk and maybe part of the whites. She has never eaten her own eggs before and we don't feed our chickens egg ever. Is this a common thing during a hard molt? I'm assuming she's doing it for the protein. Will she stop eating them when she's done molting? Any way to get her to stop without having to monitor her every move all day long?

Thanks for any advice!
    5Leepy!

2. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi 5Leepy, I don't have a lot of experience with moulting, but I have read here that some give their hens cat food during/after a moult for extra protein. I see you've been giving her some protein, but there may not be enough for her to give her a boost. It's worth a try, IMO. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by