1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Molting & Egg-Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cleoandtheo, Oct 5, 2010.

1. cleoandtheo

cleoandtheo Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, so I read on another thread that sometimes when a hen is molting, she stops laying. It seems that one or two of my hens are molting -- it's hard to tell exactly -- it's the downy feathers underneath that they are losing -- they look the same on top. One of them is definitely my EE -- and she has stopped laying also.

The other thread said it's a lack of protein. I can fix that. But how long does it take before she starts to lay again??? I miss her blue eggs! I get depressed on every trip to the nesting box.... [​IMG]

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    hens can stop laying for a month or more in the moult, but some hens don't stop at all (I've got an old Warren who is bald on her back and is still laying daily).

They vary a lot and what applies to one hen may not apply to another,

sandie

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Last year it took mine 3 1/2 months to start laying again.

4. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    I have read on here that you can increase their protien intake to help the moult along. I don't know how much that might speed up the process though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by