Molting Female?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SmallFarmUSA, Sep 21, 2016.

1. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    I bought this Snowy Call duck (hen) the end of June, and she looked like this:[​IMG]
    By August she looked like this:[​IMG]
    What would cause this change of head color? Is it just a molt, and she'll change back to white by spring? She already replaced her primary feathers about a month ago. Maybe I'm just being impatient....[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

By the photos you provided I believe she was this years hatch and went through her first moult...Now she has adult feathers and yes, that will be her colouring till her next moult..She could darken or lighten the next moult....

Very cute hen...I love my Call ducks....

3. SmallFarmUSA

SmallFarmUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2016
    Indiana
    Hmm, interesting thought! I've never seen any snowy calls that had speckled heads like that. I was told she was three years old when I bought her, but of course I have no way of proving that. Everyone who has seen her says she looks old, but (as far as I'm aware) you can't tell the difference between an old or middle-age duck. I think maybe her small eyes make her look like a Granny. ;)

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a White Call hen that is supposed to be two? She looks old too...After her moult she is a bit yellow?? She has old granny eyes too...

Oh well, Your Hen is very sweet..I love my Penelope!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by