Molting First Year?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MountainOrchard, Nov 23, 2014.

1. MountainOrchard

MountainOrchard Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Hi all! I've read that chickens usually molt their second year. My Easter Eggers are 8 months old and I think two of them are molting. Is that possible? Or are they too young for that?

2. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

I honestly don't think there is any hard and fast rule about when they will molt. I have 22 hens that are a little over 9 months old. Three of them have begun to molt. The others have not. There seems to be as many "whens" as there are people that own chickens. Here is some of what I have heard:

1. Lady on a farm near me says it is an annual event and they will not molt before 12 months.

2. Online search says molting occurs at 12 months, 18 months, between 12 and 24 months.

3. Broody hens will molt before hens that are not broody.

So, it is normal for chickens to molt. At some point in their lives. That is about the most honest reply I can provide.

3. MountainOrchard

Mar 28, 2014
    Virginia
    Thanks for that answer! That makes a lot of sense. [​IMG]

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - raising chickens would be so much easier if they'd check the forum and read the books! [​IMG] I had one EE molting, Daphne. Then Mathilda the EE joined her. Now Agatha, another EE who hatched out a chick in October, is molting. I only have 4 EEs, 9 months old and they're all molting?? This is insane in Northern Wyoming! Don't they know it's to cold to run around nekkid?

5. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    My faverolle is molting, but just her beard. I think it's a combo of the cold weather and the four new girls I'm integrating. But I've always said she's my high strung chicken that would probably benefit from some Prozac!

6. MountainOrchard

Mar 28, 2014
    Virginia
    So true Blooie, why don't they do their research?! [​IMG]

Interesting, my Elsa was the first to start the molt and she is definitely the most high strung in my flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by