Molting??? Help please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Louieandthecrew, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

My oldest rooster, a Red Cochin, is about one and a half years old now. Today I was in the chicken coop and I noticed that he seemed to be missing tome feathers around hi neck. I grabbed him and looked under his remaining neck feathers and what I saw didn't really please me. The start of his feathers (where they meet the skin) were darkish blue and his skin was pale white. I don't know if this would be normal for a molting rooser because I have never seen him molt! So, please tell me what you think!
    Thanks.

PS. I also have two other seven-month-old roosters if that makes a difference [​IMG] Thank you!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It sounds like a molt. He's the right age for it and it is that time of year when you should be seeing some molting. I'm not sure why you are worried. Is it because of the color of the quills? They all look that way when they are coming in. They have a very rich blood supply when they are first emerging to aid in growth. They look a bit odd and very different from what a feather looks like when it is fully grown in, but it's perfectly normal.

Good luck.

3. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    sounds normal but you can always give him some vitamins to maybe help out?? Giod luck!

4. Louieandthecrew

Yah, I was just worried because his skin is REALLY pale. Also, his feet look a LITTLE scaly and are pretty white... That doesn't seem very good!

5. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Seems about right for a molt. White skin and hard "plastic wrapped" feathers poking through. I add extra protien during molt to help grow those feathers back. Post some pictures if you're still concerned.

6. Louieandthecrew

Okay, I'll download some picss when I can.

7. Louieandthecrew

Quote:Here is a picture of what the feathers look like. These actually aren't HIS feathers but my oldest hens. I found them on her back where she has been 'over mated'. His feathers look just like this but his skin is MUCH pailer (spelling?). Sorry about the terrible quality!
    [​IMG]
    And, here are his feet. They are looking a little TOO flakey for my liking and I'm kind of starting to worry. Are they okay?
    [​IMG]
    I'm sorry again about teh quality. It's a REALLY bad picture and doesn't show much foot at all (His feathers block them out). He is a Red Cochin.
    Thanks!

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    His feet do look a bit rough. Are the scales lifted at the edges? You can use petroleum jelly on his feet to soften them up. That will also smother any scaly leg mites he may have. I am not saying he has them because the picture is not clear enough to say definitively. If the scales appear to be lifted then he may have a mild case of them. You will need to treat your roosts with linseed oil or insecticide.

Here's a link to some info on them complete with pictures of some advanced cases. http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Health/Dis/scaly.html

Good luck.

PS- His skin is fine from the photos.

9. Louieandthecrew

Cool! Thank you for all of the information!

10. Louieandthecrew

Quote:Oh! And his legs, the scales, are partially raise up so that when I feel them they feel... different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by