Molting Hen Broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by trudyg, Dec 3, 2014.

1. trudyg

trudyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    My 18 month old who is molting has decided to sit in the nest all day. I put her on the roost last night and got out Henny's egg, but today Jewel is back in the nest on Henny's egg. Should I leave the egg? Jewel has been molting for several weeks now and her back is bare, maybe due to the rooster (he's pretty big). I can get rid of him (only 2 hens) but would rather wait til spring and get another couple of females. Thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She is probably in the nest to avoid the rooster or keep warm. If they were mine, I would get rid of the rooster as soon as is possible.

3. trudyg

Jun 3, 2013
    That's what I thought. I'll have to do him this weekend. Thanks.

4. trudyg

Jun 3, 2013
    So, I gave Jewel some scrambled egg this morning and shut the coop door after Daffy & Henny stepped out. It's mild and pleasant outside, they'll be fine. I put a bowl with scrambled eggs in for Jewel. Figured she'd be able to relax alone in there. About 10, my DH let her out so Henny could get in to nest. He had said he would 'take care' of Daffy, but changed his mind because 'they're getting along fine'. He wants me to move Jewel to our 'holding pen' (small tractor coop but I'd need to add a roost) and keep her in there alone until the molt is done or she at least looks stronger. I think that would be punishing her and I'd have to get rid of him anyway sooner or later. Has anyone tried isolating one hen like this? What if I isolated the rooster and let both girls out and about? I'm looking at pros and cons of both scenarios.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by