Molting hen in 7 degree weather

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknshrimp, Nov 10, 2014.

1. chicknshrimp

chicknshrimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2014
    We have two molting hens, one who is almost grown-in and an EE that is missing about 30% of her feathers and they're just beginning to grow in as pin feathers, so pretty much has naked shoulders and parts of neck and back. Tonight and tomorrow we are expecting lows of 7 and highs of 17 degrees.

We have always had an unheated, well-ventilated coop and have never had any problems or frostbite. They have heated water but are otherwise "natural". Do we need to do anything for her like bring her inside tonight? I don't want to stress her more by moving her but I don't want her to be too chilly.

Thoughts?

2. mrs buff laced

mrs buff laced Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2013
    Riza 4
    Well I've lived in Texas for most of my life but I lived in Alaska for a year and a half so I do know how cold, cold can be. If you can't bring her inside or it would just be easier to have her outside a heat lamp should do just fine inside the coop. Or you could always put up tarps around the pen to block the wind. I don't about were you live but the little bit of cold that Texas does get is windy, very VERY windy! So blocking the wind eliminates a lot of cold that effects them. But like I said a heat lamp should solve that problem, along with tarping the pens.... and of course bringing her inside would probably be the easiest.... what ever you think! hope this helps!

[​IMG]

3. Messipaw

Messipaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    I'm going thru the same issue here. I'm worried. I don't want to remove her because then we will have to deal with pecking order when she returns. Good luck.

4. chicknshrimp

chicknshrimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2014
    Thanks guys, she seems ok so far and has snuggled in with the other girls now so they seem cozy. Thanks!

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Low temps will be hard on her. Provide ample food and water to make certain she can operate with a full crop. I have a couple hens that worked too hard and also prone to molt late. I am babying those with additional protection from the wind and making so they can roost in a nest lined with straw to provide additional protection from the cold.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I had a couple barebacked girls all last winter, they were fine.

Dry windproof coop, with dry deep pine shavings ont he floor to nestle into, late afternoon feeding of scratch grains for a full crop at roost time.

They are tougher than we think, until you've seen them go thru it and know for sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by