Molting hen in below freezing temps

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by shannon84, Jan 4, 2017.

1. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    My new Hampshire red hen is molting now, and it's been so cold here lately and she gets cold easily even when she had all her feathers, so now with her molting like crazy I would like to know some tips on what I can do to help her. She's getting plenty of protein, I've really been giving her alot lately to help with feather growth. Thanks guys for any information :):)

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Beside giving extra protein (which it sounds like you're already doing), there is nothing you can do to make the feathers grow faster. However, if she seems cold, you should do something to help keep her warm. This might involve bringing her inside for a while until the feathers are more grown in, or using a heat lamp. I would also make sure your coop doesn't have too many drafts that are making it colder.

3. shannon84

shannon84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2016
    Indiana
    I was thinking the same thing, I'm too scared of heat lamps because I'm the worrying type haha, but I may bring her in and put her in a crate. My rooster will hate me for sure. I seen they sell food for molting. Do you know if that's pretty good? Thank you so much!

4. 6littlegirls

6littlegirls Out Of The Brooder

My girls have been handling -27 celcius tempertures. I got them reptile heat lamps. One night light on a temperture regulated plug and day light on a regulated plug as well. The coop is R16 insulated and the run has heavy clear plastic protecting them from drafts. They are still giving 6 eggs a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by