Molting hen is now sleeping in the nest box??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, Nov 24, 2011.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    The title pretty much says it all...Why the heck is she doing this?!

2. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Dont have answer for you but I have one doing the same thing. My Jersey giant has always roosted at night but is in the middle of a pretty strong moult and now she is sleeping in the end nest box. Maybe they feel warmer in a nest box with less feathers than a perch? [​IMG]

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    She isn't really having that bad of a molt, not as bad as our other 2 easter eggers. I just can't stand her pooping in the nest box. Other than sleeping in there shes acting completely normal...[​IMG]

4. Ogress

Ogress Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North Bend, WA
    My Coop
    I noticed the same thing as my girls started molting, and it does not seem to make a difference if it is a bird who loses them all in a short time, or slowly over months. I suspect they are trying to stay away from the roosters and the curious non-molting younger birds who peck at the bald spots.

5. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I find that sleeping in the nest box is the very first sign of molting in our flock. I think it's because they don't feel well when molt hits. They will return to the roost when they feel better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by