Molting hen won't go into coop at night

aeasley

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 20, 2012
I have a 2 year old leghorn hen who began molting and refuses to go inside the coop at night. She instead sits on top of the chicken run (my girls generally free-range) until I get home (after dark) and am able to put her inside. I know it's a matter of time before a predator gets her and since I can't be home before dark it's hard to train/bribe her back to her old reliable ways. This has been going on for at least 2 weeks! I've checked for mites, mice, other bugs etc. There's no signs of the others harassing her at night. One of the others will follow the leghorn's suit every now and then but generally goes in on her own. Any ideas???????

What you are observing may not be abnormal. I have some American Dominiques in heavy molt. While this is happening the birds seem to space themselves out more on the roost. A couple hens are even roosting out in high grass although that is also related to greatly reduced ability to fly currently. I went out with dogs a little bit ago to confirm their "roosting" locations. If possible get your bird inside. Consider adding a little more roosting space to see if that helps.

Back
Top Bottom