Molting hens looking pale

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by deacons, Nov 15, 2014.

1. deacons

deacons Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I have two hens in a heavy molt right now. One has large bald patches on her back and butt, with pin feathers just coming in. One is still looking ragged, but her pin feathers are opening and she had no exposed skin. Both look a bit pale in their face-sort of salmon colored instead of a healthy red.

It's pretty cold here: 20-30*F. I have added grower/showbird crumbles in with the layer pellets to up protein, and am leaving BOSS out. Still, I know they are working hard to stay warm. For now, they're still in with the rest of the 8-bird flock. Would you do anything else for them?

I wish I could explain to them they waited too long for this!!! I have one more who looks like she's about to drop all the feathers on her neck and belly any minute now. Terrible timing!

2. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    This is the one who is a bit more feathered in:
    [​IMG]

3. deacons

Oct 8, 2013
    New Hampshire
    This is my first molt, but after doing a bit of research, I've read in several places that hard molting hens will get pink in the face until they're ready to lay again. Sounds about like what's going on here. Just thought I'd post that update in case anyone else is searching with a similar question in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by